As we tested a while back, about a year from the time of this posting, read more here. But, as with many things – changes happen. Same deal with the Google algorithm changes, we want to be sure the user experience tweaks we make are good for both SEO and leave people’s ability to purchase our products.
The back story
The website I work on at Clickstop is US Cargo Control, we sell cargo control product both B2C and B2B. We leverage the ERP system Netsuite, it handles all our back-end process and front-end web hosting too. Which can be a blessing and a curse. The curse part is very old, non-changeable HTML. It kind of stinks…but we work around it.
Our game Plan
We have taken the HTML Netsuite puts out – and used jquery to make some changes to the DOM – in the name of use experience. We want to show the page with more of a larger table based display. Same exact data – but just a different layout, so people can see more and purchase more.
See an example here – on the US Cargo Control 6×19 Wire Bright Wire Rope page.
Again I ask – What does Google think of this
How are we going to test it?
We’re going to build something like it and see how Google handles it. As you can see here…this is what the code looks like prior…and also after we modify it. Notice the tables – they will not be present when you “inspect” the DOM, only in the source.
So we’ll recreate that in the test, only we’ll just use one item and switch it out to one little table. Shouldn’t be too bad. We’ll get some random keywords to use as unique identifiers – and we’ll be off to the races.
Here’s the diagram from the last test
Here are the keywords:
New Test: 04/2014
Keyword 1: tootagtootagtweedle
Keyword 2: baddoodlewingo
Keyword 3: wootybosinkabull
Keyword 4: hobbertyvino
Keyword 5: zangodippity
Off we go…
Here is a link to all 5 keywords in Google to see what is getting indexed.